Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Moving to South Korea to Teach English: Big Changes

A week of many changes is underway. First of all, the two other foreign teachers at our school left. We had a goodbye dinner for them at a delicious Italian restaurant called Bruschetta in Changwon Monday evening. There was much sadness as we all said goodbye to them.


Also, two Korean teachers are leaving this week. There are many changes going on in the school. Next week starts the beginning of the new school year with new classes and new students. Tuesday was our first day teaching alone. There was a very strange feeling as we arrived at the school yesterday. The shoes of our fellow foreign teachers were not on the shoe shelves and their slippers were still there. The teacher break/prep room was quiet and empty. There was a strange void. A bouquet of flowers from winter festival lay on the table, slowly wilting. Despite the short time spent with these teachers, we had formed an attachment. Many meals, fun times, and conversations had taken place over the past month. Now, as Steve and I take over as the only foreigner teachers in our school and possibly the only foreigners in our city (we have only seen two other foreigners in Jinyeong : ) there are strange feelings of change. Change is good, but there are always some feelings of sadness or loss that go along with change, it seems.
Last night we moved into our apartment!! We were going to wait until Wednesday, but couldn't stand the thought of our empty apartment as we left work. So, wet blankets and sheets or not, we decided to move in. We had decided that we had been in the motel room long enough. On the way to the apartment, we stopped to buy some groceries. It was so exciting! We bought many fresh vegetables, bread, real butter, cheese, tofu, crab, curry, ramen, eggs, and a bottle of red wine. I could hardly wait to cook dinner! It had been over a month since I had cooked an actual meal. At the apartment, I wasted no time as I began chopping a beautiful assortment of mushrooms, onion, and zucchini. The smell of onion and butter wafting through the apartment was so good. I opened the kitchen window and looked out over the street and heard the loud noises of traffic below as I cooked. Dinner was served and it was amazingly delicious! I realize that spaghetti is probably not your idea of an amazing home cooked meal, but for us it was like a gourmet dinner at a five star restaurant after living in the motel. We devoured plates of spaghetti with vegetable sauce, salad with thousand island dressing, and some red wine. Afterward, we walked back to the motel (for the last time!) to pack and were picked up by our supervisor. At about 8:30 p.m. we were officially moved into our apartment and began to unpack our suitcases for the first time in over a month. It felt so freeing to hang things on hangers, put things in drawers, and hide our luggage behind our bed. Afterward, I had an interesting first shower in our teeny tiny bathroom. It felt so wrong to stand in this small room and completely soak everything in the room and create a puddle of water on the floor, but this is Korean style showering. Here are some photos of the apartment and some reflections on what I think about the first month.

bedroom

Dining room/entrance to the apartment

kitchen/laundry room

bedroom/closets/sweet wallpaper!


 bathroom/shower  (and yes this is how small it is, notice the floor drain : )


First dinner I cooked in the apartment: spaghetti with veggies and marinara, french red wine, salad

 It is hard to believe it has been only a month as I feel like I have seen more and experienced more in a month than in my whole life. I have learned that Korea is a very beautiful and scenic country with great hikes, beautiful beaches, and breathe taking sunsets. I have found that I really enjoy most Korean food and that I am more willing to try new foods than I have ever been before. I have been endeared by the generosity and kindness of so many people in Korea. I have found that I feel really safe here and that, at times, I feel much safer and more trusting of people than at home. I have learned a lot about myself and my relationships with others. I have, at times, really gone out of my comfort zone and it has been really good for me! Steve and I have successfully lived in a motel room for one month. We have washed our clothes in the bathtub, endured unpleasant shower temperatures, and have not had the luxury or ability to cook our own food. I have learned that you must always carry toilet paper or tissues with you as 99% of bathrooms do not have toilet paper : )

2 comments:

  1. Horray! Thanks for sharing and congrats on the new place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO delighted to SEE your new place -- and to be able to pray for you and picture you THERE :)
    Also loved hearing about your cooking saga. I'll appreciate cooking and eating my own dinner tonight more now... <3

    ReplyDelete